SUPES I Academy
The SUPES Academy is offered annually. This academy is targeted at those aspiring to obtain a superintendent position within one to two years. Participation in the SUPES Academy is by invitation following application. Applicants should have evidence of a work history that makes them viable candidates for the superintendency. Normally this would entail central office experience or experience as a building administrator.
The SUPES Academy meets in four, 2-day sessions across four months (August, September, October and November) at four different locations across the state. The lead facilitator for the SUPES Academy is Dr. Michael Wilmot, President/CEO of Michigan Leadership Institute. Other presenters include MLI Regional Presidents, experienced Michigan superintendents and business officers, and national experts. Participants in the SUPES Academy have reading and activity assignments related to the topics of the sessions. In order to successfully complete the SUPES Academy, participants must attend all four 2-day sessions. SUPES Academy participants may receive SBCEU’s or graduate credit.
Key benefits to the participants include:
- Instruction in key aspects/responsibilities of the superintendent position
- Formation of a career cohort
- Insights into the superintendent search process and interaction with the MLI search consultant team
- Exposure to experts and resources to support the superintendency
- Development and critique of job search materials and 90-day plan; interview practice
- Access to the experience of successful Michigan superintendents
- Completion of one of the requirements for superintendent endorsement to Michigan Administrative Certification